Palace House Part 1

LINKS to other pages in the 'Beaulieu Estate' site and to the Travelling Days series:

1 : Introduction
2 : Motor Museum
3 : SOE Exhibit
4 : Gardens
5 : Beaulieu Abbey
6 : Palace House
7 : James Bond Exhibit

BEAULIEU PALACE HOUSE was originally built in the 13th century by Cistercian monks as the Great Gatehouse of Beaulieu Abbey.

It has been the ancestral home of a branch of the Montagu family since 1538, when it was bought from the crown following the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII.

The house was extended in the 16th century and again in the 19th century. It is today a fine example of a Gothic country house.

The house overlooks Beaulieu River and is surrounded by lawns and walkways. The inside of the house has been kept in a Victorian style.

Although still home to the current Lord and Lady Montagu, parts of the house and gardens are open daily to the public. When the family is not in residence rooms in the private area of the building may also be open for visitors.

A walk around the building to view the external structure ends at the visitors' entrance (bottom picture).

The following pages show the interior of the house and its contents.

buttongo.jpg - 7212 Bytes
buttonnext.jpg - 5586 Bytes